I left it a few days before writing up our final day in the project space, to let the dust settle (and the talcum powder – sort of an inside joke but one of the previous artists, Shelby Hanna, had recreated a dust storm with a lot of talcum powder and fans – really wish I’d seen it in person). We tried to tie the loose ends together and present the video works alongside the pictures that had been created in their construction and also worked on a final piece that Sharon drew on the wall while I projected data over it. We took a couple of runs at this one and though it was almost an after thought, as Peter had playfully told us to draw on the walls, it was probably the best still image to come out of the process. Working with the eraser on the charcoal and with the scrape marks of previous attempts Sharon was able to create an image which was both representative of the data I had projected and at same time transcendent of it, bringing a lot of herself to it. This was what I had hoped we’d get out of the project at the beginning.
In the afternoon we opened for a couple of hours and got some good feedback, we had a lot to think about where we might take things next. The final piece that used both lines and negative space is something I’d like to work back into my data visualisation and quite how we might animate that is an open question.